.

Latest Ricky Ponting interview 2011

Captain Ricky Ponting became Australia’s 42nd test captain when he took over from Steve Waugh in 2004. He has played in more than 140 Tests and 350 One Day Internationals and is Australia’s leading runscorer. This summer he will be seeking to regain the Ashes having lost to England 2-1 last year.

1st. When and where did you first play golf?

At Mowbray Golf Club in Tasmania when I was about seven or eight-years-old.

2nd. What attracted you to the game?
My dad had a traineeship as a teaching pro at Riverside Golf Club and I used to walk around the course with him at least once a week. So golf was a pretty good thing to do with dad.

3rd. How often do you play and at which course?
I play as often as I possibly can. Obviously I get to play a lot more when in breaks from cricket and I’m a member at Cronulla and New South Wales in Sydney where I play the most when I’m at home.

4th. What is your handicap now and how low has it been?
It’s currently one, which is the lowest I have been.

5th. Was playing golf ever an option rather than cricket?
No, as I really developed a passion for it later in my childhood when I was totally into both cricket and AFL football. I would love to have been an AFL player ahead of being a professional golfer – but cricket won clearly.

6th. What has been your best round and at which course?
I went back to Tassie earlier this year and shot a 66 off the stick in the Saturday comp at Mowbray.

7th. What is your favourite course (overseas) and why?
Cape Kidnappers in New Zealand as it has the most amazing views and presents so many different challenges.

8th. What is your favourite course 
(in Australia) and why?
Kingston Heath in Melbourne. It’s the perfect golf course where the land is ideal and nothing seems manufactured.

9th. What is the best - and worst - part of your game?
Best would be my mid irons and worst would be my chipping/putting.

10th. Have you ever had a hole-in-one? If so, what happened?
I’ve been fortunate to get seven hole-in-ones – the most recent at Cronulla just before we left for the UK in June. I used a brand new Taylor Made 8-iron on the 9th and it went straight at the flag and into the hole. Fantastic!

11th. If you could play a round with any living person, who would that be?
Tiger Woods.12th. And what would be your dream fourball of persons living or dead?
Playing with Mum, Dad and my brother Drew

13th. Which golf course in the world would you most like to play and why?
Without a doubt – Augusta. I went to the US Masters this year and it was one of the greatest weeks of my life. The course is absolutely incredible and I’d love to play it someday.

14th. Who is the best golfer among your sporting or celebrity friends?
Former Australian cricketer and now commentator, Greg Blewett.

15th. Do you play a lot when away on tour and who among the team are the keenest golfers?
Every chance I get – but it’s difficult when you’re touring. There are a number of the guys that are keen golfers – James Hopes, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North and our coach Tim Nielsen.

16th. Why do you think cricketers make such good golfers?
Very similar skills, especially hand-eye coordination.

17th. Will you play much during the Ashes series?
I doubt I’ll get time to play during the Ashes as I want to make sure I’m 100% on my game for each day of all five tests. Might go and hit some balls at the practice range or putting green on days off though!

18th. Finally, what would it mean to you to regain the Ashes?
It will mean everything – it’s what Australian cricket is all about. I’ve been lucky to enjoy the thrill of winning the Ashes as a player and captain and nothing beats it. But I’ve also lost the Ashes and it’s one of the worst feelings in the world.

We are well down the course with our preparation and I have great confidence with the quality and depth of our team. I’m sure we will give Australia something to be proud of this summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment