.

Latest Alka Yagnik interview 2011

The one time singer of 'Ek Do Teen' Beautiful Alka Yagnik is very reluctant to repeat it any more. She doesn't like the current trend of husky and seductive item songs' Yes, she confesses that she has sung such songs in the past, but is now reluctant to repeat them. She believes that today's numbers are short-lived as "we don't have actresses like Madhuri Dixit or Sridevi, any longer in the industry." In fact, the producers and the directors prefer actresses with husky and seductive voices, she adds. The singer who has traveled a long way since her success with ' Mere Angne Me' in Amitabh Bachchan starrer 'Lawaris' to ' Dhak Dhak' girl's 'Tezaab', and later in 'Qayamat se Qayamat Tak',' Saajan', ' Beta',' 'Hum Tum' and Lagaan' and in the recent past in Aishwarya Rai starrer ' Umrao Jaan', wonders if the item numbers will survive long and believes in the revival of the classical music in movies as it was in the past. She calls herself a follower of Lata Mangeshkar's music school.
Excerpts of the interview:
Who is her favorite singing icon?
I owe my success to Lataji as I learnt a lot about playback singing by listening to her songs.
What about Asha Bhonsle's influence on you?
I have more influence of Lataji in my singing than Ashaji's.
How did you enter into Bollywood?
I entered into Bollywood in the era of Lataji and Ashaji. In early 80s no other female singer could make her mark due to the stature and popularity of these veteran sisters.
So, it was difficult for new singers to survive in the presence of these sisters?
No, this is rubbish. Lataji and Ashaji hadn't created any kind of monopoly. In fact they were very supportive and always encouraged new talents.
Do you support new talents like your icons?
Yes, I am also one of them. At present, my job is to search new talents and groom them. My priority is good voice and knowledge of ' sur'. I don't believe in dance based performance as you can always learn that later in life.
Don't you find competition from today's singers?
No, I don't feel insecure from today's singers like Sunidhi Chauhan, Shreya Ghoshal or Anushka. Why should I? I have the experience of more than 25 years now. One feels the heat of competition in the initial stage, but I am established and very satisfied.
Doesn't the mass appeal of today's songs affect classical music?
Yes, it hurts me. However, this is a wrong notion that the classical music has no mass appeal. In 50s and 60s we did have movies with strong classical music and the people liked that. Isn't it?
Do you believe in the revival of classical music in the near future?
I am confident that the melody will return soon.
Are you happy with the current music style?
No, I am not. Most of the current music is fast, boring and substandard. I don't really enjoy and I don't want to change my style either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment